We are almost there! On May 18, ECASD school board approved the contract for the electrical engineer for the Solar on Eau Claire Schools Project, making way for summer installation. The project has made incredible progress through the spring months despite the pandemic. Donors believe in the value of incorporating solar education into the STEM curriculum for North and Memorial high schools, and the project has seen great momentum in recent weeks. This is what has been happening:
- 360 panels have been donated generously by the Couillard Solar Foundation. If $250,000 can be raised to support installation, electrical and racking, and 25 years of maintenance, an anonymous donor has pledged an additional 360 panels, doubling the project size and impact. Installation for the project will happen over the summer 2020 break
- During the month of April, Pablo Foundation made a $25,000 matching gift challenge. YOU (our community) responded, donating $45,000 and exceeding the challenge!
- As a result of the strong response, Pablo Foundation has issued an ADDITIONAL dollar-for-dollar $25,000 matching challenge through June 5, the end of the school year.
- Another opportunity the committee is working toward is a Focus on Energy grant from the state of Wisconsin, with this year’s grant funding expected to last through June. This grant is applied for by the solar installer and is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Eau Claire Area School District is working on getting the bid process in order so that when the installer is named, the installer can capitalize on $28,000-$32,000 in funding support.
- Because of generous individual donors, LE Phillips Family Foundation, and Pablo Foundation, the project is more than 70% of the way toward the fundraising goal!
There has never been a better time to celebrate and participate in this outstanding initiative for our students. Join us in the final push for Solar on Eau Claire Schools. We invite you to make a gift and to share the good news with your colleagues, family, and friends!