About the Fund
The Joanne Marie Sommer Scholarship was established by an ECASD family in memory of their mother and wife, in celebration of education and community service with North High School and the Eau Claire Area School District.
Accepted applicants must: have performed some community service in the Chippewa Valley during their studies at North High School. They must have a grade point average of 2.5 or higher. Priority given to first generation students and/or students who have lost a parent. Selection will be based on the criteria stated in the description. If there is a tie in the rubric, the reviewers will rank order the applicants.
All North High School seniors who have performed community service in the Chippewa Valley during their high school studies and who plan to go on to post-secondary education will be considered for the Joanne Marie Sommer Scholarship. Selection will be based on:
- Intent to attend post-secondary education
- High school GPA: 2.5 or higher
- Community service while in high school
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must submit:
1. Online application form through the Eau Claire Public Schools Foundation Scholarship Application page
2. Attach your high school transcript (pdf)
3. Attach a typed, one-page (maximum) essay (pdf), describing:
- What have you done in service to Eau Claire or the broader community?
- Are you first-generation in your family to go on to post-secondary education? Please explain.
- Have you lost a parent? If so, please explain.
All uploaded documents must be in pdf format. Application (and all appropriate documents) must be submitted online by March 31, 2018 at 11:59pm. Late applications are not accepted.
Selection and Distribution
Selection will be made by the Joanne Marie Sommer Scholarship committee. One award of $500 (or more) will be announced in May and presented annually at the Pride Award Ceremony.
THE APPLICATION WILL BE AVAILABLE THROUGH MARCH 31, 2018.