THE APPLICATION WILL BE OPEN DECEMBER 1, 2017 THROUGH JANUARY 31, 2018.
The J. Murphy STEM Scholarship was established by an anonymous donor in honor of the donor’s mother’s teaching career with the Eau Claire Area School District, and in celebration of STEM education.
Accepted applicants must: have the intent of majoring in a STEM program (science, technology, engineering or math). They must have a B average or higher, and be recommended by an MHS or NHS teacher. Selection will be based on the criteria stated in the description. If there is a tie in the rubric, the reviewers will rank order the applicants.
All Memorial High School and North High School seniors who intend to pursue post-secondary education and study under a STEM program major and will be pursuing a career in a STEM field will be considered for the J. Murphy STEM Scholarship. Selection will be based on:
- Intent to attend a post-secondary education program with a STEM field major, and plans to pursue career in a STEM field.
- GPA – B average or higher (3.0).
- Required: recommendation letter from a teacher.
- Preference given to applicants planning to attend public university.
- Preference given to women applicants.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must submit:
1) An online application through the Eau Claire Public Schools Foundation Scholarship Application page.
2) A typed, one page essay, describing:
- Your financial need
- Why STEM has been important to you
- Other activities you are active in
- Your plan for post-secondary education
3) Include a recommendation letter from a teacher at your high school.
4) Submit the application and all appropriate documents (documents in PDF format) online by January 31.
Selection and Distribution
Selection will be made by the J. Murphy STEM Scholarship committee. One award of $10,000 (or more) will be presented annually, renewable annually for four years of post-secondary education, and will be announced at the high school’s spring awards ceremony.